menu

Image Map

Friday, April 18, 2014

My Top 10 Books

We're taking a break from the weekly High Five For Friday's to bring to you....



I'm an avid reader, notorious book worm, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Lindsay @ Broke and Bougie asked if I wouldn't mind sharing some of my favorite books that I've read, and I thought what better place to share my love for books than this here bloggy.
 
Here we go! My Top 10 list of books that I've read (and no, this does not include 50 Shades of Grey): 

The Shack by William P. Young- This book will probably always be in my number one spot. The raw emotions and imagination that are evoked from the text is unbelievable. The imagery truly makes you feel like you are in the book, having a conversation with God.

When You Come Home: The True Love Story of a Soldier's Heroism, His Wife's Sacrifice by Nancy Pitts- I absolutely fell in love with this book. It's centered around the relationship of a woman and her man during World War II. It discusses their struggles, triumphs, and is just a beautiful love story.


Last Light by Terri Blackstock- The story line of this book revolves around the "end of the world." I usually find them pretty redundant (and stupid sometimes), but I was thoroughly impressed with this book. Rather than focusing on the eating and killing and ridiculousness that some of these story lines focus on, this book instead focuses on the fact that we have pushed God out of our lives and replaced Him with modern day things. It forces you to think about where your faith really lies. {But man oh man, do I love me some Walking Dead}
 
 
The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne- Ya'll, I'm all about the love of people and faith, and really humanity. In this book, Shane chronicles his travels around the world, meeting people from the homeless in the U.S. to Mother Teresa and sharing his life song with them (plus getting to know their's). I love his way of thinking and his desire to start a revolution to change the world.
 
 
Agent of Influence by Russell Hamilton- I have a love for murder mysteries and suspenseful stories. In this book, it centers around the conflict between America and the Middle-East. All I can say is why was this book not made into a movie?! Just trust me when I say, read this! It may open your eyes to some things.
 
The Lacy Steele Mysteries series by Vanessa Gray Bartal- These are a fun, light-hearted series of mystery books that I honestly loved from the get-go. The main character, Lacy Steele, is challenged in each book not only by a killer, but by her own self-conscious issues, relationships, and many other things girls deal with. She's just forced to solve murder mysteries at the same time!
 
 
Long Time Coming by Edie Claire- This book is centered around a woman who is forced to come back to her childhood hometown and ends up living in the home of her dead childhood friend. She's having to wrestle with memories, heartbreak, possible spirits, and the man whom she blames for her friend's death. It's a great story of forgiveness and love.
 
 
Imdalind Series by Rebecca Ethington- I've never been a big magical kind of books reader. Not that I didn't like them, I just never could get into one because it doesn't seem real to me. This series though was fantastic to me! If you're into that kind of thing at least. A young girl is met head on (in the first book) by her past and it quickly shapes her future. I've finished the 4th book (I think there's 5) and I'm currently waiting for that 5th book to come out. I will say this, the 4th book kind of bored me in the middle. It got better, but I just felt like I was reading the same thing over and over and over... But nonetheless, I am excited about that 5th book being released.
 
 
Trouble in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law Mystery/Romance series) by Jana DeLeon- As I'm typing this out, I'm realizing it says "series" and I'm kind of kicking myself for not continuing the series. Trouble in Mudbug is a funny, light-hearted murder mystery. Throw in the spirit of a snippy mother-in-law, and you're guaranteed a few laughs.

Due Date by Nancy Wood- In this book, the main character Shelby becomes pregnant at the age of 23. With mounds of debt and nowhere to go, she turns to a surrogacy deal with a married couple. Once she moves into their guest cottage to finish her pregnancy there, things begin to unravel and become sketchy, and soon she realizes she is in the midst of a scam. This book got a little creepy (you'll just have to read to see what I'm talking about) - Not awful creepy but "oh-muh-gosh-runnn!!!" creepy.



Narrowing this list down to 10 was actually really hard, but these are some books that I've read and have either resonated with me in some way, or just stuck out in my mind like a dog-eared page. I hope ya'll get to reading and enjoy them as much as I did!

 





Image Map

4 comments:

  1. I will definitely be checking some of these out! I love a murder mystery! Have you read any of the Charlaine Harris series? She's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually read NONE of these books! :( But I'm looking for a good read, so thanks for the suggestions! Are you on Good Reads?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of these books either! Love new suggestions. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Shack!!! Yes! That is #1 on my list too! I'm putting all these books on my goodreads list thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete